The Northeastern Scientific Station and the Pleistocene Park are scientific organizations located behind the Arctic Circle in the village of Chersky, the Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) (68 ° 44’N, 161 ° 23’E).
The Northeastern Science Station was founded in 1977. The construction of the park began in 1996. Then the first coral was built on 50 hectares, and the delivery of the first animals, horses and elks, began. In 2004 and 2005, the construction of a large fence that fenced an area of 1600 hectares was completed, and then the first deer were brought to the park. In 2010, the first batch of musk oxen was brought here, and in spring 2011, the first bison and the deer.
The Pleistocene Park is the main project of the Station and is an attempt to recreate the ecosystem that dominated the Arctic in the late Pleistocene - the Mammoth Steppe ecosystem. For this, it is necessary to replace modern low-productive northern ecosystems with highly productive pastures with high animal density and high speed of the bio-circle.
Now, the Pleistocene Park occupies 16 square kilometers of fenced territory, and is home to five species of large herbivores, such as horses, musk oxen, bison, moose and reindeer.