The Animal Welfare Society Stellenbosch was founded in 1956 with the donation of a van and the support of the Stellenbosch Animal Hospital. Our organisation is a non-government, autonomous and independent not-for- profit organisation for the welfare of animals. AWSS is member-based, independent of government and industry. For over 61 years we have persistently carried out our mission to recognise animals as living beings with the right to a good quality life. We have achieved this through veterinary care, Inspectorate (enforcing the law), education, and running a Kennel, Cattery, and a successful Adoption programme, which every year places hundreds of animals in apt and loving homes.
We also advocate and promote the sterilization of cats and dogs to curb unwanted breeding in an already overpopulated pet community. We sterilize, dip, vaccinate, deworm and treat illnesses of animals in our immediate area.
We believe that an animal’s welfare should be considered in terms of 5 freedoms:-
1. Freedom from hunger and thirst – by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain health & vigour.
2. Freedom from discomfort – by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
3. Freedom from pain, injury and disease – be prevention, rapid diagnosis and treatment
4. Freedom to express normal behaviour – by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
5. Freedom from fear and distress – by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.